Lets take a look at our schedule for week four.
- This week you will officially register your domain name, exciting!
- We're going to share a dropbox folder which allows you to transfer content.
- We're going to define the structure of your pages.
- ...you can send me the good stuff or take a look at free stock content.
Registering your domain name!
(I always let my clients do this part themselves because it involves passwords and credit card numbers. However, if you have questions or need help with registering, send me a message via email, chat or the form below and I'll be happy to help!)
The day has come, we're going to make it official!
These past three weeks you have been working really hard to create amazing content, now it's time to register your domain name and Squarespace account so that we have a place to put all of your content together.
If you have not registered for a Squarespace package and domain name yet, follow the steps below:
- Take a look at the Squarespace packages by clicking here.
Decide what package fits your needs best.
You can choose from:
Websites - Personal: A beautiful, simple website with the max of 20 pages and the possibility to sell 1 product.
Websites - Business: Perfect for businesses of all sizes, unlimited pages and sell up to 25 products.
Commerce - Basic: Everything you need to get your business off the ground. Unlimited pages and products.
Commerce - Advanced: Advanced features as your business grows. The must complete package available.
I recommend the Personal package for bloggers, the Business package for anyone who wants to sell less then 25 products via their website and the Commerce packages are for big businesses with large inventories.
(Please note that when you are selling through Squarespace, you will be charged a 2% transaction fee on the Business plan, and a 3% transaction fee on the Personal Plan. To eliminate these transaction fees, you can upgrade to a Commerce plan at any time.)
- After you have decided what package you will be purchasing you can start the registering proces by clicking here.
- Pick the template you like best (or a random one when you want me to pick a template that would fit your website best.)
- Click "Start with" and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Please purchase your package at this point rather than choosing the 14 day free trial because the trial environment won't give us the full software to work with. After you have registered you will be directed to the design environment and you will see a sidebar on the left side of your screen.
Go to Settings -> Billing & Account -> Billing and then "Upgrade your plan" to a paid account.
- Now that you have signed up for the Squarespace package, all you need to do is register your domain name. This is optional of course, if you are content with the website url that you receive from Squarespace you can skip this step.
(The Squarespace url will be something like https://your name.squarespace.com and with a domain it will look like www.yourname.com)
- You can register your domain name by clicking here and following the instructions.
You did it! Congrats!
Need a break?
Let's take one here.
Sharing a Dropbox folder
Next up is Dropbox! Today you can expect an invitation in your email box from me via Dropbox.
In the next couple weeks you can use this folder to send me all the photography, documents, artwork or anything digital you want me to add to your website.
Lets create some structure
Are you ready to create some website structure? You are now going to describe how you want me to structure your individual pages and what they should be called.
If you leave this practice blank I will design your pages from my point of view. But I strongly advice you to give me as much input as possible in order to create a website unique to your own taste.
*Note : Most websites have around six pages, if you would like to create more pages you can just refresh your screen and use this form again to send in the extra information.
Send over the good stuff!
Now as soon as you have accepted the invitation to our shared folder in Dropbox, you can upload visual and written content into it!
With content I mean photos, artwork, written pieces or anything you want me to use on your website (apart from all the awesome content that you already submitted throughout the course).
I recommend using only your own photography because of the copyright law, which we will dive deeper into next week!
If you do not own high resolution pictures you might want to look into free stock photography. Here are some websites that you can browse through. Stocksnap, Splitshire, Superfamous, Picjumbo, Pixabay, PublicDomainArchive
Please make sure that if you're going to send me free stock photography to double check that it's free to use without crediting the owner or send me the owners name and website if you are allowed to use with credit.
Finishing up Week 4!
I know that week three and four of our journey are pretty intense, but you are doing an amazing job! The next two weeks I will be in full work mode and you will see all your hard work falling into place.
I'm so excited to meet again next Monday, in the fifth week of our journey because I'm going to combine all the pieces together and create your website!
If you have questions, remarks, thoughts or just want to say hi, you can use the form below.