Module 6 - Gratefulness
Are you Grateful?
Dating back thousands and thousands of years to the earliest recordings of humankind, the power of gratitude was preached and practiced, and from there was passed on through centuries, sweeping across continents, permeating one civilisation and culture to the next.
The major religions of Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Sikhism and Hinduism all have gratitude at their core. From the Australian Aborigines to the African Maasai and Zulu, from the American Navajo, Shawnee and Cherokee, to the Tahitians, Eskimo, and Maori, gratitude is at the root of most indigenous traditions.
Our history is laden with famous figures who practiced gratitude: Gandhi, Mother Teresa, the Dalai Lama, Shakespeare, Blake, Dickens, Proust, Lincoln and Jung.
When Einstein was asked about his monumental achievements, he spoke only of giving thanks to others. One of the most brilliant minds of all time thanked other people over a hundred times a day for the work they had done!
The scientist, philosophers, inventors, discoverers, and prophets who practiced gratitude reaped its results and were most aware of its power. Yet still gratitude's power is unknown to most people today, because to experience the magic of gratitude in your life, you have to practice it.
You will have heard people say to count your blessings, and when you are thinking about the things you are grateful for, that's exactly what you're doing. Counting your blessings is one of the most powerful practices that you can ever do.
When you are grateful for the things you have, no matter how small they may be, you will see those things instantly increase. The flip side is that when we're not counting our blessings, we can fall into the trap of unintentionally counting negative things. And when we count negative things they increase too.
In this module we will be sharing our three favourite gratitude practices.
1. The Gratitude list : Each day when you wake up, make a simple list of ten blessings in your life you are grateful for. So first thing in the morning or as early in the day as you can, count your blessings and write them down in your journal. After you finished making your list of ten blessings, go back and read each one, either in your mind or out loud. When you get to the end of each blessing feel the gratitude for that blessing as much as you can. This practice of counting your blessings is so simple but so powerful. You might think that it is going to be difficult to find 10 things that you are grateful for each day but trust me, the more you think about it, the more you will find to be grateful for. Do you need some subjects that will remind you of the major areas you can look for blessings? Health, Body, Work, Success, Relationships, Passions, Happiness, Love, Life, Planet Earth, Air, Water, Sun, Material Goods.
Being grateful and saying thank you to another person for anything you received from them will improve your life. Gratitude is a powerful energy, and so whomever you direct gratitude's energy toward, that's where it goes.
Most of us make contact with many people every day, whether on the phone, through email, social media, face to face, at work, in stores or in restaurants, and in many cases the people we make contact with deserve our gratitude, because we are receiving something from them.
Every action has an equal reaction. If you really mean it when you say thank you, the other person will feel it, and you will not only have made another person feel really good, but your gratitude will fill you with a feeling of happiness as well.
2. Say 'Thank you' : Take gratitude's energy with you for the people who work in service, and look for every opportunity you can to sprinkle gratitude on everyone by saying 'thank you'. Thank the people who perform different services you benefit from. It doesn't matter if you get the opportunity to do it in person, you can mentally acknowledge the people whose service you benefit from. Even if you're at home today with not much social contact, you can sit down with a pen and paper and go back in your mind recalling instances where people in service went out of their way for you.
In the inspirational words of Gandhi and in the lyrics of Michael Jackson's song, 'Man in the Mirror,' which impacted hundreds of millions, one of the most powerful messages of all time was delivered:
Change the person in the mirror, and your world will change.
The person who deserves your gratitude more than anyone else is you. When you are grateful to be you, you will only attract circumstances that make you feel even better about yourself. You have to be rich with good feelings about yourself to bring the riches of life to you. Gratitude for yourself enriches you!
3. Be grateful for being you : I know this practice can be a little awkward at first but that feeling will disappear pretty fast. So, put a chair in front of a mirror and sit on it. Take a few deep breaths with your eyes closed and then open them and look directly at the person in the mirror. Take some time to really look at yourself. Try to see both your beautiful outside as your incredible soul. And then say 'thank you', with all your heart. Mean it more than you ever have before. Say thank you for being you!
When you can see the magic in that person in the mirror, your whole world will change!
Try to incorporate these three practices in your life, they have been essential to our journey and we trust that they will bring so much magic your way.
Here are some powerful affirmations that can help you build up your manifestation energy. Pick your favourite one and keep them close, in your journal, on your phone or on your desk.
1. Whatever I can conceive, I believe.
2. If I see it in my mind, I am going to hold it in my hand.
3. I open myself to receiving abundance of the Universe.
4. The Universe provides me with all that I will ever need.
5. I am love.
6. I am One with Spirit.
7. Beauty is the breath of my soul.
8. I see beauty everywhere I go.
9. I experience the world in all its glory.
10. I have a wealth of fond memories.
11. My life is one big adventure.
12. My inner home is a peaceful retreat, a storehouse of practical wisdom.
13. I celebrate life.
14. Inspiration flows easily to me.
15. Love and gratitude…Thank you, thank you, thank you.
The Gratefulness Journey
We believe that gratefulness is one of the most powerful tools to manifest your dreams into reality. It is because of this that we run a free 28-day Gratitude Journey in our Nabalo Community twice a year. We take this journey together with an incredible tribe of 1200+ souls and we would love it if you could join us.